Thursday, September 13, 2012

Weekly Field Trip - Wolf Creek Indian Village

Every Friday the homeschool group goes on a field trip, and this weeks pick was "Wolf Creek Indian Village & Museum" I was pretty excited about this one! I love learning about cultures in general, but Native American culture is something that has always interested me. I find it rather fascinating :) First my friend Meghann got dropped off at our house that morning just after 6am, and we left by 7am. (It's about an hours drive.)
It was very cold that morning... and while driving through the blue ridge mountains we entered a thick fog as we traveled to higher elevations.

 Our "tour guide" took us back to where they re-created an Indian village.
Using artifacts and knowledge they had of this place, they were able to reconstruct what a Native American village would have been like when they lived here over 500 years ago.


Some of the demonstrations were even interactive - we learned how to make arrow heads out of rock, and even how to sharpen tools the Native Americans would have used.

I thought it was awesome! Especially because it's like we got to reenter that time period and experience what life is like without our cool gadgets and electricity.
observing some of the pointy weaponry


 Inside the homes and buildings, it was rather dark, considering there is no light source other than the doors, or any light that could pour through the cracks.





Alongside the village is a creek, and alongside the creek are many walking trails, it was so much fun to 'get back to nature' and go on a hike.

example of pottery

 

 As you can see, we got to have symbols drawn on our face, Joshua picked a bear paw print!


One of my favorite bits of knowledge was learning about the foods and how they would preserve them the winter months, also ^^ how they used turtle shells to calculate months!


After this fun morning, once afternoon arrived we all went to the picnic area and had lunch! I sat next to my buddie Meggie and we ate goat cheese sandwiches! I then said bye to my boyfriend, since Meghann & I were heading to our bestie Jessie's house for a girl's night! I didn't get any pictures, but we had so much fun watching movies and hanging out, listening to music in our pjs! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment